from the stuff
you don't want
Garage sale ads that attract buyers
What to put in a garage sale ad
To see what should go in an garage sale ad, look at the ads on garage sale websites (eg http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites or http://www.backpage.com/) and from last week's edition of your local newspaper that your ad is to go in and make a note of the ads that catch your eye. Try to identify why they work and why the others didn't work.
To help you work out what makes a good heading, I extracted some Garage Sale headings one day from Craigslist. Check them out.
What makes a good ad?
Consider not including the close time
Having said that, consider including the close time
Make your garage sale ad a bit different
Dealing with early birds
Early birds are the keen bargain hunters who will arrive up to an hour before your opening time to try and get the best deals before the others. Don't waste your money on including "No Early Birds" because it goes without saying and shoppers will either expect that or ignore it. Refer to Best early bird strategies for more tips and strategies.
Make it easy for buyers to find your garage sale - but not too easy
Include a few words to help buyers find your street. For example, first left off Main Street or near a popular landmark. Don't include your house number because this will make it too easy for early birds to find you.
Advertise early and everywhere
Advertise multi-day sales as separate sales
If you are having a 2 - 3 day garage sale, treat each day as a separate one-day garage sale and place ads for each day. If people know it is a 2 or 3 day garage sale, they naturally will assume that all the good stuff has gone by the first day and not bother to go one the second or third day. If they think it is only a "one day" sale then they will more likely come on the second or third day if they haven't noticed your previous ads.
Advertising in a multi-cultural neighborhood
If you are in a multi-cultural neighborhood then consider putting in a non-english ad too.
Don't upload photos directly to Craigslist.org
When including photos in Craigslist (and you should) don't upload photos directly to Craigslist as you will loose a lot of clarity. Instead, upload them onto a photohosting site (eg Flicr or Photobucket) then add a link to these photos in your ad on Craigslist. More details here.
Include your online ad's identifying number or code
This will help people find your ad online to get more details of your sale.
How to advertise if you are in a rural area
You can't rely on a great deal of passing traffic so advertising is crucial.
Make sure you cancel your ads if you decide not to hold a garage sale
Your local authorities may just check the ads and match it to the list of permits issued to identify sales without a permit rather than actually visiting each sale to check if it was actually run before posting a fine. This person found this out the hard way. How would you prove you didn't have a sale on that day?
Ads that caught my eye
MOVING HOUSE AFTER 25 YEARS ....THIS IS ONE HUGE GARAGE SALE...WAY TOO MANY ITEMS TO LIST...EVERYTHING FROM FURNITURE, HOUSEHOLD APPLINCES, BOOKS, CLOTHING, ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES, GARDEN POTS AND WOOD & TOOLS ETC ETC.
More related tips on these pages...
Copyright © 2009-2013 BestGarageSaleTips.com. All Rights Reserved.
>> Get your 130 page ebook <<
• More tips
• Friday Fun
• Best Garage Sale Tips - Home
• Is a garage sale a good idea?
• Garage sale alternatives
• Garage sales around the world
• What have you got to sell?
• The best time and place
• A Garage Sale vs Ebay
• What to do several weeks before
• What to do the week before
• What to do the day before
• What to do on the morning
• What to do during the day
• What to do near the end and after
• Best group garage sale tips
• Best cleaning and repairing tips
• Best garage sale pricing tips
• Best garage sale sign tips
• Garage Sale flyer tips
• Garage Sale ads that attract buyers
• Garage Sale street signs tips
• Garage Sale signs for the garage
• Best garage sale layout tips
• Best tips to make men stop
• Best tips to display clothes
• Best early bird strategies
• Best customer service tips
• Best 'lemonade stand' tips
• Garage sale safety and security tips
• Garage sale money handling tips
• Garage sale personal safety tips
• Best pet strategies to boost sales
• Best garage sale donating tips
• Garage sale resources & links
• Garage sale signs and stickers
• Garage sale t-shirts
• Garage sale aprons
• Garage sale other stuff
Search Best Garage Sale Tips
|CONTACT | COPYRIGHT | PRIVACY | DISCLAIMER | ADVERTISING|